Sunday, May 16, 2010

136

Hello, Ro, he says.
Her name is actually Rowena -- a ridiculously Victorian name. And it fit her, because she was ridiculously Victorian. But he had liked to call her Ro. And this in itself was indicative of how special she was to him: he never abbreviated names. And, beyond this, he had a particular contempt for anyone who, as a habit, abbreviates names. Or who abbreviated anything that didn't have a practical need to be abbreviated. People who said "fam" for "family," for example.
And yet, after he had met her and had known her for a couple of days, he never called her by her full name. She did that to him. Evidently, she still does.
How was the library? she asks.
Do you remember how we used to go to the library? he asks.
Of course, she says. Did you find the book you were looking for?
I found a book that gave me what I needed.
Oh.
And then I went into a church.
I know.
She stands. She goes up to him. They stand looking at each other for a moment or two.
I have no idea what is going on, he says.
Hush, she says.
She embraces him, and he, quite out of character, begins to weep.

No comments:

Post a Comment