Thursday, January 21, 2010

21

Hunter. Although he had not known that this word would be used, he is not surprised to hear it. Hunter fits. Nor does he need to consider the question of the priest.
I want sancuary, he says.
And then something else pops into his mind.
He tells the three priests: I have been to the library. The Magnificence sends me forth. I have seen the girl.
Such words. Who talks like this? he wonders.
The middle priest, a wizened, old man with a nose like a buzzard's beak, leans backward, slightly, in his chair.
We will give you sanctuary.
After the priest tells him this, there is an uncomfortable silence that lasts almost long enough to be comical.
I am hungry, and I am thirsty, he says.
Immediately, all three priests smile at him. Their manner is changed utterly. Why then, you will eat and you will drink! Says the priest he had met first. We could play cards! says the second priest. Tell me, says the old priest, do you play Whist?

No comments:

Post a Comment