Friday, February 19, 2010

50

He and his father were of similar humor. When they had first moved down there, the two of them had heard, somewhere, the state song of Maryland. The melody stayed in their minds (it was the same as "Oh Christmas Tree"), but the words, except for the title, were soon lost. No matter. They could sing the song using only those words, and it would come out just fine. Often, when father and son were out in the estuary to the north of their property chicken-necking bluecrabs on a piece of packing string, they would break into the song, more or less simultaneously, laughing while doing so, and doubtless losing crabs that they otherwise would have been able to pull up:
Oh Maryland, my Maryland,
Maryland, my Maryland!
Oh Maryland, my Maryland
Maryland, my Maryland --
Oh Maryland, my Maryland,
Maryland, my Maryland --
Oh Maryland, my Maryland,
Maryland, my Maryland!

No comments:

Post a Comment